Saturday, February 6, 2010

DAY NINE: Picton to Kaikoura


My group made breakfast today and I found myself at the grill yet again, making French toast and eggs. I didn’t do a very good job but whatever. Our fruit salad was amazing.

I love fields with bails or rolls of yellow hay, and the three dimensional dance they play on your eyes when you drive by. MMM love it. There are a lot of low lying clouds that move fast and make cool wave-like shadows on the golden fields. Ten minutes later we’re driving along a beautiful coast with black sand.

Ten minutes after that we got pulled over! Haha, apparently people had been complaining about us for miles because 4 big vans pulling trailers were caravanning and driving too close together, making passing really difficult. When the cop pulled us over, about 12 cars waiting to pass zoomed by.

Got into camp and my group made lunch. Tuna or chicken wraps. Good choice. We were going to go to the beach but it’s cold and rainy. We got a group together to take a van into town and see the sights. We ended up driving to possibly the most beautiful lookout point I have ever seen. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my camera.

We stood on top of a water tower on top of a hill on a peninsula and the beautiful view was looking back inland, with a bay at my left and right. The bay to my left was crisp and clear, dark blue water lined with deep green pine trees. It looked like I was up in the Uintas at home. The bay to my right had sun beams breaking through a storm and bouncing off the turquoise water. It looked more tropical than Midwestern. Both were so majestic and so different. I couldn’t take it all in.

Jasmyn and I both felt like we should have had some personal epiphany or at least should have been crying. I would have cried if I were there by myself but we had some loud, distracting people in our group, bless their rambuctious souls.

We headed to the beach which looked like just a bunch of sharp rocks from the parking lot. We walked out there and ended up spending hours exploring the coast. The rocks formed little pools that we scavenged for star fish, crabs, and any other little treasure we could find. I felt like a mix between a 5 year old kid (wonder, excitement, unfamiliarity) and a 60 year old seaman (damp hair, rain coat, rolled up pants, seaweed covered hands). 

Eventually the feelings of the 5 year old kid took over because I slipped and fell into the kinda nasty stagnant water. Eww. We headed into town after my little accident and to another beach with smooth, round, black rocks, the kind that look like they belong in an expensive spa to rejuvenate your chi or something.

No comments: